This strawberry lemonade vodka makes a delicious and refreshing drink. Made with fresh strawberries, this drink is perfect for summer! With only five ingredients in this recipe, you'll be on your way to summer bliss in just minutes. Serve this at your next summer gathering!
It's been strawberry galore in our kitchen this spring! That's what happens when you get pounds of strawberries from the farm! Typically, I like to bake with my strawberries (hello, strawberries and cream bundt cake). But, I love this recipe because you literally just have to mash up the strawberries by hand, and voila... the perfect summer drink!
If you want to try another luscious drink, check out my rattlesnake shot, which is the perfect blend of coffee and chocolate in a chilled shot glass!
Join me in celebrating Juneteenth with more than 30 other Black culinary creators. Juneteenth marks our country’s second independence day, signifying the final emancipation of those enslaved in the US, announced in 1865. This year, we are celebrating "Freedom Day" by offering a delightful selection of mains, sides, desserts, and refreshing drinks that are perfect for backyard barbecues and summer gatherings with friends and family.
Join us in honoring the legacy of progress and freedom by cooking and sharing these recipes. Additionally, you can easily follow each participant by using the hashtag #JuneteenthCookout2023 on Instagram. You can find a list of all recipes from the 2023 Juneteenth Virtual Cookout on the Eat the Culture website.
Why you'll love this recipe
This strawberry lemonade vodka is so simple, that you'll find yourself serving it to all your friends and family!
- The combination of strawberry + lemonade makes a tangy drink packed with flavor.
- Only five simple ingredients make this recipe simple and quick.
- Choosing your own brand of vodka makes this drink as high-end as you want it to be!
Key ingredients and why we use them
This refreshing summer drink has only five ingredients. You're literally minutes away from a delicious summer treat!
Lemonade: You want to use a high-quality lemonade in this recipe, or even make your own at home! If you have extra, try making a Starbucks peach green tea lemonade.
Strawberries: This drink features fresh strawberries, and I don't recommend using frozen ones. Use these tips for storing strawberries, to make sure they last. I find having my strawberries at room temperature for the drink makes them more flavorful.
Vodka: Chose your favorite brand of vodka for this drink. You can pick high-end or low-end... it's really up to personal preference!
How to muddle strawberries
Muddling is a technique we use to gently crush the strawberries in this recipe, which releases their juices. You'll want a cocktail muddler to do this.
Use the tips below for cocktail muddling success. You'll be a pro in no time!
- Ensure you have a sturdy glass. A thin and fragile glass will be prone to breakage.
- Remove all stems and leaves prior to placing them in the glass.
- Use a gentle rocking motion when crushing the fruit.
Frequently asked questions
To rim a glass with sugar, place your sugar on a plate with low edges. Use a lemon or lime to wet the edge of your glass. Then, gently press your glass in the sugar using a circular motion.
Once opened, your vodka has a shelf life of 15-20 years. Obviously, keep an eye out for any odd flavor or appearance. But barring that, you can keep that unopened bottle around for quite a long time!
You don't need to go out and buy a muddler for this one recipe. I like to simply use a wooden spoon instead. This works just as well and can work in a pinch.
HEATHER'S HELPFUL HINT
I like to chill my glass in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to making my drink. This makes your glass nice and frosty, and helps it stay cooler for longer!
Making this strawberry lemonade vodka is super simple, following the steps below.
1. Rim the glass with sugar. Use a lemon wedge to wet the edge of your glass and then gently dip the glass edge into the sugar.
2. Muddle the strawberries: To make the drink, crush your strawberry in the glass using a muddler.
3. Add vodka and lemonade: Pour vodka in and mix it together. Finally, add the lemonade and stir. Add the ice cubes as your very last step.
4. Garnish and enjoy: Garnish the drink with a curled lemon peel and a strawberry. Enjoy!
Make ahead and storage tips
This drink is best enjoyed right after it's made. Chilling the glasses in advance is a great tip and can be done 30 minutes to 2 hours in advance.
Aside from that, I don't recommend any advance preparation or storage for this recipe.
Try these other strawberry recipes
Be sure to check out some more of our delicious strawberry-inspired recipes below.
Want something a little different? Try these recipe variations:
- This recipe calls for regular vodka, but you could get creative and use a flavored vodka like lemon.
- If you want to make your own homemade lemonade, that would be delicious in this recipe!
- Flavored lemonades are also an option for an extra boost of flavor. I've used strawberry lemonade in this recipe.
More Juneteenth recipe ideas to try
With the highest population of vegans/vegetarians in the United States, African-Americans are drawing inspiration from the largely plant-based diet of our African ancestors and developing recipes inspired by classic Soul Food dishes. Black-eyed peas, chickpeas, and watermelon are updated in recipes like Southern Caviar, Strawberry Lemonade Vodka, and Watermelon Salad with Cilantro Honey Lime Dressing.
- Savor and Sage - Soul Hummus and Vegetable Board
- Brazilian Kitchen Abroad - Watermelon Salad with Cilantro Honey Lime dressing
- Geo's Table - Southern Caviar (Black eyed Pea Salad)
- Collards Are The Old Kale - White Beans w/Tomato Chow Chow
- That Green Lyfe - Strawberry Mango Romaine Salad w/ Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Slight Kitchen Werk- Tahitian Treat Popsicles
- My Pretty Brown Eats - Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail
You can find a list of all recipes from the 2023 Juneteenth Virtual on the Eat the Culture website.
Strawberry Lemonade Vodka
- cocktail picks
- clear cocktail glass
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 drops red gel food coloring
Strawberry Lemonade Drink
- 2-3 large strawberries fresh
- 1½ ounces vodka
- ¼ cup lemonade chilled
- ice cubes to serve
- curled lemon peel for garnish
- To make your rimming sugar, mix granulated sugar and red food coloring in a plastic bag until the desired color is achieved. Pour the sugar out onto a plate. Use a lemon wedge to wet the edge of your glass and then gently dip the glass edge into the sugar.
- To make the drink, crush your strawberry in the glass using a muddler. Pour vodka in and mix it together. Finally, add the lemonade and stir. Add the ice cubes as your very last step.
- Garnish the drink with a curled lemon peel and a strawberry. See the notes below for curling the lemon peel.
Notes and Tips
- Curling the Lemon Peel: I like the following instructions on how to make a lemon twist.
- Chilling the Glass: Chilling the glasses in advance is a great tip and can be done 30 minutes to 2 hours in advance.
- Scaling the Recipe: You can triple or quadruple this recipe and make it in a pitcher for a crowd.
Did you make this recipe? First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try! Please leave us a rating and leave any feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and what didn't — with a recipe!