This easy strawberry banana milkshake is thick and creamy. It's the perfect excuse to use up those overripe bananas. Made with only a few ingredients, it comes together in just a few minutes. You'll find this summer dessert is pretty much irresistible on a hot day.
Our family went strawberry picking last weekend, and we ended up with SO MANY strawberries. Usually, I like to bake something like my strawberry jello cake, but instead, I opted for a refreshing dessert. This milkshake is packed with flavor and is something the entire family will enjoy!
Why you'll love this recipe
There are so many reasons you'll end up making this strawberry banana milkshake again... and again!
- Simple ingredients make this a quick and easy treat.
- Bananas and strawberries add lots of flavor and sweetness.
- Your favorite vanilla ice cream makes everything thick and creamy.
Key ingredients and why we use them
This refreshing milkshake has only six ingredients. With these simple ingredients, you're only minutes away from a delicious treat!
Vanilla Ice Cream: I like to use basic store-brand ice cream in this recipe. Since we're adding lots of flavors (hello, strawberries and bananas), it's not totally necessary to buy the most expensive brand.
Milk: For a creamier milkshake, I like to use whole milk in this recipe. You can get by with skim milk or almond milk, but it does make the milkshake a little less thick.
Bananas: Freeze your bananas before adding them to the milkshake. I like to cut them into slices before freezing them. This makes adding them to the blender much easier!
Strawberries: Strawberries are the star of this milkshake. You can use frozen strawberries if you don't have fresh ones on hand. Either works totally fine in this recipe!
How to macerate strawberries
When you macerate strawberries, you add sugar and a touch of lemon juice. This softens the strawberries and brings out their natural flavor. It's also a great technique when your strawberries are slightly underripe. It's really simple to do!
- Bring strawberries to room temperature and place them in a bowl.
- Sprinkle sugar and a few drops of lemon juice over the top.
- Stir everything up.
- Wait for about 20-30 minutes.
- Enjoy your softened strawberries in their naturally delicious syrup... YUM!
Frequently asked questions
Use less milk in the recipe if you want a thicker milkshake. If you've already blended everything up, and you want your milkshake thicker, add extra ice cream. The thickness of your milkshake is all about the ratio of milk to ice cream.
You can use an immersion blender or food processor to blend your milkshake ingredients together. If you don't have any appliances, you can soften your ice cream and finely chop your ingredients beforehand, and then use a mason jar or drink shaker to mix everything together.
If you don't have vanilla ice cream on hand, you can substitute a combination of whole milk, sugar, and vanilla extract. Throw everything in the blender and mix until smooth and creamy. You can experiment with the ratios to obtain your desired level of creaminess.
HEATHER'S HELPFUL HINT
For those that enjoy malts more than milkshakes, all you need to do is add 2 tablespoons of malt powder into your milkshake. Blend everything together following the instructions, and you're set!
Making this strawberry milkshake is super simple, following the steps below.
First, put the strawberries, vanilla extract, milk, vanilla ice cream, and banana in a large blender.
Blend everything together, stopping to mix ingredients with a spoon if necessary.
Blend together until smooth. Be careful not to over-blend, stop once everything is creamy!
Garnish with strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream. Serve immediately or store in the freezer. Enjoy!
Make ahead and storage tips
Surprisingly, you absolutely can make a milkshake in advance! What you want to do is, blend everything up and pour the milkshake into your glass. You can then stick it in the freezer to store. When you're ready to drink it, simply let it sit at room temperature for 5-15 minutes and give it a few stirs with a spoon.
Try these other strawberry recipes
Be sure to check out some more of our delicious strawberry-inspired recipes below.
Want something a little different? Try these milkshake combos:
- Replace 2 tablespoons of the milk in the recipe with bourbon. This will give your milkshake a kick!
- Feel free to omit the banana entirely and add some extra strawberries!
- Substitute the strawberries for another fruit such as blueberries or raspberries. The flavor combinations truly are endless.
Strawberry Banana Milkshake
- ½ pound strawberries fresh, with tops cut off
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 banana sliced and frozen
- whipped cream optional for garnish
- Mix the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Set them aside for 20-30 minutes as they macerate.
- Put the strawberries, vanilla extract, milk, vanilla ice cream, and banana in a large blender. Blend together until smooth.
- Pour the milkshake into glasses and garnish with strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream (optional) on the rim. Enjoy immediately!
Notes and Tips
- Place your glass in the freezer for 30 minutes before you pour the milkshake into the glass. This helps keep everything nice and cool.
- Don't add ice to your milkshake! Ice waters down the milkshake, and you will lose the thick and creamy texture.
- Blend only until everything is combined. Too much blending will actually think out the milkshake.
Did you make this recipe? First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try! Please leave us a rating and leave any feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and what didn't — with a recipe!