Looking for the best, out-of-this-world, no-fail pancake recipe? Then you have come to the right place! This Joy Of Cooking pancake recipe will show you how to make the perfect, fluffy pancakes that will have your family and friends begging for more. I have been making these pancakes for years now, and it never disappoints. It's simple, delicious, and always a crowd-pleaser!
If you are a lover of all things breakfast, then you are probably familiar with the Joy of Cooking cookbook. In fact, it was my go-to book throughout my childhood and continues to be one of the most reliable sources for delicious recipes.
One of my favorite recipes from the Joy of Cooking is their signature pancake recipe. It's simple, yet it always turns out perfectly fluffy and flavorful!
I have recreated this recipe countless times, and every time it brings back fond memories of my childhood.
Tip: Not a fan of pancakes? Check out this recipe for Aunt Jemima's Waffle Recipe!
Why you'll love this Joy Of Cooking pancake recipe
- The pancakes are light, fluffy, and oh-so-delicious!
- The recipe uses basic pantry ingredients, so you can whip it up in a pinch.
- Add in your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips, blueberries, or bananas for a personalized touch.
- This recipe is perfect for breakfast-in-bed, brunch with friends, or even as a sweet treat for dinner. Not in the mood for pancakes? Check out my cinnamon rolls with apple pie filling!
- You can easily double and triple the recipe to feed a crowd (or your very hungry family!)
- These pancakes are freezer-friendly, making them perfect for breakfast meal prep.
Enough chit-chat; let's get to the good stuff - the recipe!
Key ingredients and why we use them:
Making a batch of fluffy and delicious pancakes is a must for any breakfast lover. Let's talk about what makes these pancakes so irresistible.
Here are some of the key ingredients in this recipe and why we use them:
- Flour: Flour is the base of this recipe, providing structure and texture to your pancakes. Make sure to use all-purpose flour for best results.
- Baking powder: Baking powder acts as a leavening agent, creating those fluffy pancakes we all know and love!
- Eggs: For a bit of richness, we use eggs in this pancake recipe. They also help bind the ingredients together.
- Milk: Using whole milk will create a richer batter, but feel free to use any type of milk you have on hand.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt brings out the flavors in the pancakes and rounds out the sweetness.
- Butter: Butter adds flavor and moisture to the pancakes. Since I added salt, I recommend using unsalted butter.
- Sugar: Just a touch of granulated sugar adds the perfect amount of sweetness to balance out the other flavors in the pancakes.
- Vanilla Extract: This ingredient is optional, but I highly recommend adding a splash of vanilla extract for some extra flavor.
You'll need the following pieces of equipment to make this pancake recipe from Joy of Cooking:
- Circular Flat Griddle: A circular flat griddle is the perfect tool for cooking pancakes. It allows you to make multiple pancakes at once and ensures even cooking.
- Mixing Bowl: You'll need a mixing bowl to combine all of the ingredients together.
- Whisk or Fork: A whisk or fork is essential for blending the ingredients together until smooth. Any type of whisk will work.
- Spatula: A spatula is necessary for flipping the pancakes and removing them from the griddle.
Heather's helpful hints:
- Make sure to preheat your griddle before cooking the pancakes. This will ensure they cook evenly and don't stick.
- Splash a few drops of cold water onto the griddle to check if it's hot enough. If it sputters and bounces, you're good to go!
- Want perfect circle pancakes? Just pour the batter from the tip of a spoon held a few inches above the pan.
- When flipping the pancakes, make sure to wait until bubbles form on the surface before flipping. This means they are ready to be flipped!
- For added variety, try adding chocolate chips, blueberries, or bananas to your pancake batter. Trust me, it's delicious!
- Let your pancakes cool on a wire rack to prevent them from sticking together.
- If you have leftovers, you can freeze them for a quick and easy breakfast on the go. Just pop them in the toaster or microwave to reheat.
Step 1) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the wet ingredients (milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla) together.
Step 2) Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) together in a big bowl. Create a well in the dry ingredient bowl and pour in the wet ingredients.
Step 3) Gently whisk everything together.
Step 4) Heat a griddle with some oil over medium-high heat. Drop ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook for a couple of minutes until bubbles start forming and the edges are dry. Flip the pancakes and keep cooking until they're brown on both sides.
Step 5) Repeat with the rest of the batter and place them on a wire rack to cool until you are ready to serve.
Enjoy your fluffy pancakes with your favorite breakfast sides like scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and juicy sausage!
The perfect pancake toppings
Who doesn't love a good pancake topping? Here are some of my favorite suggestions to go with this Joy Of Cooking pancake recipe:
Make ahead and storage tips
You can freeze these pancakes in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, place them in a toaster or microwave until warmed through.
These pancakes also refrigerate well for 2-3 days.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute up to 50% of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for a healthier option. Keep in mind that this may result in slightly denser pancakes.
Can I make these pancakes gluten-free?
Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the package for proper measurements.
Can I use non-dairy milk in this recipe?
Absolutely! Any type of milk will work in this recipe, so feel free to use your favorite non-dairy option.
How do I know when the pancakes are done cooking?
You'll know the pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles start forming on the surface, and the edges begin to look cooked. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
Can I make this Joy Of Cooking pancake recipe vegan?
Yes, you can! Simply use a flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) instead of the regular egg, and replace the dairy products with a plant-based option.
Joy of Cooking Pancake Recipe
- circular flat griddle
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) together in a large bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla).
- Make a well in your large bowl with the dry ingredients, and then pour in the wet ingredients. Gently whisk everything together.
- Heat an oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Scoop ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle.
- Cook for two to three minutes, or until bubbles begin to form and the edges are dry. Flip pancakes, and continue cooking until brown on both sides. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Notes and Tips
- Ignore lumps in your batter. Give a few quick strokes with a whisk to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Even if you are using a non-stick griddle, still use a light layer of vegetable oil on your griddle. Make sure you reapply a coating of oil between batches of pancakes.
- Perfect Circle Pancakes: Pour batter from the tip of a spoon placed just a few inches above the pan.
- Allow your pancakes to cool on a wire rack, which will help them not stick together.
- To test your pan, splash a few drops of cold water onto the pan. If it sputters and bounces, the pan is ready to use.