This award-winning Kermit's key lime pie recipe is sweet, tangy, and perfect for summer! Condensed milk adds a sweet and rich flavor that is complemented by the key lime juice. Easy to make and bursting with citrusy flavors, it's the perfect treat for any occasion. This pie always has people coming back for more and asking for my recipe!
Key lime pie has always been one of my favorite summer desserts. After making this dessert for several years, I've taken the original Kermit's recipe and made some amazing tweaks and substitutions that have elevated it to new levels of deliciousness. Trust me, this pie is now better than ever! Enjoy it with my delicious peach green tea lemonade!
What is Kermit's key lime juice?
Let's talk about the superstar behind this recipe: Kermit's Key Lime Juice. Unlike other brands, this juice is double-strength, which means you can use half the amount and still achieve a firm and dense pie. And guess what? The recipe for Kermit's Key Lime Pie is right there on the bottle, so it's no secret how to recreate this delightful dessert.
My copycat recipe will save you the $38 it costs to ship the pie from its Elisabeth Street location in Key West, Florida. The added bonus is that you can make the recipe whenever you want!
Why you'll love this recipe
There are so many reasons to fall head over heels for this incredible pie recipe. Let me give you a taste of what awaits you:
- The taste is a perfect balance of sweet and tangy, like a summer breeze on your taste buds.
- This recipe comes with the backing of an award-winning status, so you know you're in for a treat.
- And best of all, it's super easy to make, even for the busiest of bakers.
Key ingredients and why we use them
Let's take a closer look at the key players that make this pie so irresistible.
Key Lime Juice: This is the star ingredient that gives the pie its distinctive tangy flavor. It adds a refreshing twist that sets it apart from regular lime juice.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: The creamy, sweet condensed milk provides the perfect balance to the tartness of the key lime juice, resulting in a luscious filling.
Sour Cream: Adding a touch of tang and creaminess, sour cream takes this pie to a whole new level of decadence. Make sure your sour cream is at room temperature. Also, check out my mini bundt cakes which also feature sour cream.
Grated Lime Zest: Don't forget to zest some fresh lime to enhance the citrusy aroma and flavor of the pie.
Graham Crackers: A crunchy and buttery crust is the defining characteristic of any key lime pie. Purchase crushed graham crackers to skip the step of doing it yourself.
Now, let's dive into the nitty-gritty of making this heavenly pie. Just follow these simple steps, and you'll have a mouthwatering masterpiece in no time.
Step 1) Mix crust ingredients together and pack into pie crust.
Step 2) Whisk together the ingredients for the pie filling.
Step 3) Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
Step 4) Smooth out the pie filling using a spatula.
Heather's helpful hints
Here are a few tips and tricks to ensure your Kermit's Key Lime Pie turns out perfectly every time:
- Short on time? You can use a pre-made graham cracker crust as a time-saving option. Nobody will know the difference!
- Whatever you do, don't over-bake the pie. It's important to cook it until it's only slightly set to avoid a dry and overdone dessert. Trust me on this one!
- Don’t forget to garnish with whipped cream, as this helps cut the tartness of the lime.
- While some recipes call for green food coloring, this isn't necessary at all. By nature, key lime pies are a yellowish hue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Key lime juice has a more intense and tangy flavor compared to regular lime juice, which adds a unique twist to the pie.
Yes, it's highly recommended to refrigerate the pie to maintain its freshness and prevent spoilage. It's especially refreshing when served chilled on a hot summer day!
While you can substitute lime juice, keep in mind that it will alter the flavor profile of the pie. For an authentic taste, key lime juice is the way to go.
To make candied lime, simply slice limes into thin rounds, coat them with sugar, and bake them at a low temperature until they become crisp and caramelized.
Wondering how to keep your Kermit's Key Lime Pie fresh? Here are some handy storage tips:
Make Ahead: You can freeze the pie for up to three months, but make sure to omit the whipped cream topping before freezing. You can also freeze key lime juice. Pop it in the freezer in ½ cup quantities, and it will stay fresh for up to a year or more, ready to use whenever you crave a pie.
Storage: In the fridge, your pie will stay fresh for up to three days. Although let's be honest, it probably won't last that long before being devoured!
While Kermit's Key Lime Juice is the star of the show and adds that special touch to the recipe, using regular key lime juice can also yield fantastic results.
If you're pressed for time or simply prefer the convenience of a premade crust, by all means, go for it! While making the crust from scratch can add a certain homemade touch, there's no shame in saving a few minutes by using a store-bought crust.
For a bit of tropical flavor, try using sweetened condensed coconut milk. You'll have the same creamy sweetness, with a hint of coconut goodness.
Try freezing a slice of key lime pie on a popsicle stick and dipping it in chocolate. You can order these "pie bars" from the Key Lime Shoppe, and they come dipped in dark chocolate and white chocolate.
Key lime pie bars are also an easy alternative to a traditional pie. The recipe is relatively similar, and topping with whipped cream is a must!
Related pie recipes
Our recipe index is a great place to search all My Sweet Precision recipes!
Kermit's Key Lime Pie Recipe
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until thoroughly combined. Firmly press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an 8- or 9-inch pie plate, creating a solid and deliciously spiced crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until set and tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. Be careful not to brown your pie. Remove from oven and chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.
Notes and Tips
- The official recipe on the back of Kermit's key lime juice is as follows: "2 14-ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk, six egg yolks, and ½ cup of Kermit's key lime juice. Blend milk and eggs at a low speed until smooth. Add key lime juice and finish blending. Pour into crust, and cook at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. "
- My copycat recipe makes a slightly lighter pie (replacing egg yolks with sour cream). This results in a pie with a more delicate and lighter flavor, which was preferred by our taste testers.
- When it comes to graham cracker crumbs, you have two options. You can easily find them pre-packaged at the store or take matters into your own hands by crushing whole graham crackers in a zip-top bag to create your own homemade crumbs.
- Homemade whipped cream is far superior to store-bought. I highly recommend making some yourself.
So, my fellow baking enthusiasts, get ready to experience the magic of Kermit's Key Lime Pie right in your own kitchen. With its delightful balance of sweetness and tang, it's the perfect dessert to brighten up any occasion. Go ahead, give it a try, and prepare to be blown away by this award-winning recipe!