This copycat First Watch Kale Tonic Recipe is a great way to start your day with a powerhouse of energy. It's full of antioxidants and can help to strengthen your immune system. Not to mention, it's effortless to make and tastes simply divine. You can whip up this juice with just a few simple ingredients in no time. It's the perfect way to get your daily dose of greens and apples in a single glass.
Today I'm so excited to share a delicious and healthy recipe for my favorite menu item at First Watch—their delicious kale tonic. This is one of my favorite green juices to pair with their crab and avocado toast. I've made it so many times at home, and I'm excited to share my recipe that has the perfect balance of sweetness! I love to pair this with my zucchini applesauce muffins for a healthy and filling breakfast.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This energizing and delicious juice is the perfect way to start your day. Packed with nutrients and vitamins, it's a great way to boost your body and get your day off to a great start!
- This tonic recipe is a great way to get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables to help improve your mental clarity and focus.
- The vital nutrients and vitamins help with mental clarity and energy levels for the day. Improve your daily diet by swapping this drink out for a glass of coffee in the morning! But I won't stop you from making this delicious espresso drink if your heart is set on it!
What is First Watch?
First Watch restaurant is a breakfast, brunch, and lunch chain based in the United States. The menu features award-winning omelets, pancakes, crepes, French toast, sandwiches, salads, and more. The restaurant also serves a variety of fresh-pressed juices in its juice bar and specialty coffee drinks. The chain is based in Bradenton, Florida, with over 300 locations in the United States and Canada.
This simple recipe has only four key ingredients!
Apples: I like to use fuji apples in this recipe, but gala apples will also work well. My article on the differences between gala vs. fuji apples will help you determine which you will enjoy more. Look for apples that are firm and have a deep red color. You can also add more apples if you want a sweet taste.
Kale: Many types of fresh kale will work in this recipe. I've used curly, lacinato, red Russian, and kalette. I like to use lacinato kale in my smoothies and juices because it has a milder flavor, and the leaves are more tender, which makes it easier to blend.
Cucumber: To prepare a cucumber for a juicer, you should first wash it with cold water and scrub the skin with a vegetable brush. Then, cut off the ends and peel off any tough skin. I like to use English cucumbers because they have thinner skin and fewer seeds.
Lemon: Make sure you peel away the skin of your lemon before adding it to the juicer for best results. You can add lemon juice to the smoothie in a pinch if you don't have a fresh lemon on hand. I've done this several times! Make this strawberry lemonade vodka drink to cool down with your extra lemons!
I recommend looking at some of the best juicers to determine the best bet for your price range. Brands such as Nutribullet and Hamilton have reasonably priced juicers that will work well for your home kitchen.
You can still make this recipe if you don't own a juicer! In this case, you'll want a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. You'll blend everything in a blender and pour the mixture through to remove chunks and fibers. Either of these methods works just fine!
Heather's helpful hints
Cut up fruits and vegetables into smaller pieces before adding them to the juicer to make it easier to juice.
If you use a blender, blend softer fruits and vegetables first. Then add your harder fruits and vegetables gradually to the juicer.
Make sure you tackle clean-up right after you finish using your juicer. The longer your dried pulp sits around, the more challenging it will be to clean. I sometimes rinse mine and throw it into the dishwasher.
You can quickly make this kale tonic recipe at home in under ten minutes!
Step 1) Wash and chop produce and combine in a blender.
Step 2) Blend on high until everything is completely pureed.
Step 3) Spoon mixture into a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
Step 4) Squeeze the juice into a glass bowl and discard the pulp.
This healthy green juice recipe is absolutely packed with your daily value of several nutrients! I'm not a dietician, but First Watch's Kale Tonic is an excellent addition to your healthy lifestyle.
Apples are an excellent source of dietary fiber and contain antioxidants that help protect cells from damage. In addition, they can help reduce cholesterol levels and benefit your digestive system.
Kale is a well-known superfood packed with vitamins and minerals and an excellent dietary fiber source. In addition, leafy greens help reduce inflammation and boost the immune system.
Cucumbers are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A and vitamin K. They can help improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and promote weight loss.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and reduce inflammation. They can also help regulate blood pressure, improve skin health, and aid digestion.
Green juices are versatile by their very nature. There are a lot of different ways to get creative with this recipe. Check out the ideas below for more inspiration!
- Kale-Banana-Ginger Green Juice: Blend one large kale leaf, two ripe bananas, one inch of fresh ginger, and one cup of water. Strain the mixture and enjoy.
- Spinach-Apple-Celery Green Juice: Blend one cup of spinach, one green apple, two stalks of celery, ½ inch of fresh ginger, and one cup of water. Strain the mixture and enjoy.
- Cucumber-Melon-Mint Green Juice: Blend ½ cucumber, ½ cup of melon, ½ cup of fresh mint, one tablespoon of honey, and one cup of water. Strain the mixture and enjoy.
I recommend drinking your juice as soon as possible for maximum nutrition and flavor. If you're not drinking it immediately, you can store the juice in an airtight container and consume it within 24 hours. After making it at home, I often use a mason jar to transport my juice to work. I do not recommend storing your juice in the freezer.
Frequently asked questions
According to their website, kale tonic has 20 grams of sugar. However, the sugar in this recipe is all naturally occurring, as there is no added sugar.
First Watch has over 300 locations around the United States and Canada. Their website shows maps to determine the location closest to you.
There are 130 calories in one serving of kale tonic. This includes 4 grams of protein and 32 grams of carbohydrates. There is no fat in this recipe.
If you're in the mood for more beverage recipes, check out these favorites from My Sweet Precision!
Not sure what to try? Check out our complete recipe index to search for recipes, baking tips, and more!
First Watch Kale Tonic
- juicer if not using blender option below
- fine mesh strainer
- 1 bunch kale lacinato or curly
- 1 lemon peeled
- 1 apple fuji or gala
- ½ cucumber
- 1½ cup water
- Combine all washed produce in the blender. Pour water over the produce.
- Blend on high until completely pureed. You may need to stop the blender and give everything a quick stir to get things moving.
- Place a fine mesh strainer (or cheesecloth) over a glass bowl and pour the mixture into the strainer. Stain the mixture so that all the juice falls into the bowl, leaving only the pulp behind.
- Cut the cucumber and apples into small pieces that will be able to fit into your juicer.
- Slowly feed the ingredients into your juicer. Add water to the juice, and mix to serve. Use ice cubes for a refreshing summer cool drink!
Notes and Tips
- Adjusting Sweetness: If you have a sweet tooth, I'd recommend adding agave nectar to your juice once you're finished.
- Optional Ingredients: Add a one-inch piece of fresh ginger for an added kick of flavor. Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to reap some additional health benefits.
- Prepping Ingredients: It's important to wash everything thoroughly before making your juice.