Irish Soda Bread Cookies
These Irish soda bread cookies are soft and chewy with highlights of caraway seed and raisins. Reminiscent of Irish soda bread, these bite-sized cookies are a sweet twist on this classic bread.
Servings: 24 cookies
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
Place a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit 20 minutes before baking your cookies. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
In a medium pot, combine raisins with water. Bring mixture to a boil on the stove. Reduce to simmer and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Remove pot from heat and let cool
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and caraway seeds. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add raisins and the flour mixture alternately. Mix well, the dough will be crumbly.
Shape the dough into small balls, about 1-inch wide. Slightly flatten the cookies to shape them into a disc. Bake on a parchment covered cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes. Remove when the edges of cookies are slightly brown. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, milk, and lemon extract together in a bowl. Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
- You can rehydrate your raisins in any type of liquid. Other options include fruit juice or your favorite liqueur.
- If you like the taste of butter in your baked goods, opt for a butter-flavored brand of shortening. It's the closest to the best of both worlds that you can get for this recipe!
- You can use raisins or currants interchangeably in the recipe.
- If you plan to freeze your cookies, do so the same day you bake them. Store them in a zip-top plastic storage bag. Remember to put the name and date on the bag so you don't forget about them! Store for up to three months.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg