Make this sweet and crisp Strawberry Crunch Topping using only three ingredients in less than 10 minutes! Each buttery bite is bursting with the delicious flavors of strawberry and vanilla. Sprinkle this topping over your favorite desserts and get your strawberry fix anytime you need it! Pair this with my strawberry oreo crunch pound cake, and you'll have a winning dessert!
Springtime might be over, but my love for everything strawberry is anything but! Our Strawberry Lemonade Vodka and Strawberry Banana Milkshake are a big hit this summer, but this Strawberry Crunch Topping is sure to be an all-year-round favorite for dessert lovers!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. This no-bake recipe is very straightforward and can be done in minutes. You only need one kitchen piece of equipment and a bowl—so easy to do, and clean-up is a breeze too!
- Uses three simple ingredients. You do not need anything fancy to make this yummy dessert topping! Since this recipe does not require fresh strawberries, you can make it as you please.
- You can make it ahead of time. This recipe makes one cup, but you can double the ingredients and keep the rest for later! It is always nice to have it handy when the craving strikes.
- Use it in a variety of ways! You can use this strawberry-flavored topping in cakes, pies, ice cream, cupcakes, doughnuts, cake pops, tarts, and yogurts!
Key ingredients and why we use them
I firmly believe that desserts do not have to be complicated or expensive. The ingredients for this topping are budget-friendly and easy to find. They also store really well.
Golden Oreos: These may not be as popular as their dark chocolate version, but they are equally delicious! Made with vanilla cookies and cream, they have a more subtle flavor than the classic.
Unsalted Butter: Butter gives the crunchy topping a rich flavor and loosely binds the ingredients together, giving it a nice crumbly texture.
Strawberry Jello: Used straight from the pack, as it is. This will give the topping an intense strawberry flavor that rivals anything made using the real thing.
Whipping this berrylicious treat up requires minimal equipment. All you need is a food processor, a bowl, and a jar to store it in. First, you will use a food processor to pulse the cookies into crumbles. You can use a high-powered blender instead if you do not have one. You can also do this manually by placing the cookies in a ziplock bag and crushing them using a rolling pin.
Heather's helpful hints
- Feel free to use slightly more or less Oreos, based on your desired level of crumble. I've used up to 25 pieces in some of my batches.
- The strawberry jello is used straight off the pack. No need to cook it!
- You can substitute freeze-dried strawberries for the strawberry jello in this recipe if that is what you have.
- Take the butter out of the fridge an hour before making this, or you can use the microwave to melt it quickly.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. Jello powder usually contains gelatin, flavorings, and sugar, which are okay to be eaten as they are.
Any brand of vanilla-flavored cookie and cream will do. You can also use strawberry wafers or vanilla-filled cream biscuits for this recipe.
Sure you can. Find a vegan-approved cookie, then use vegan butter and freeze-dried strawberries instead.
Making this strawberry crunch topping is simple—it'll only take 15 minutes!
1. Chop Oreos. Using a small food processor, coarsely chop the OREOS using short pulses.
2. Combine Ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the OREOS, melted butter, and strawberry gelatin powder.
3. Mix Everything. Using a spoon, mix Everything together, and then ENJOY!
There is no limit on how or where you can use this topping. Any dessert where you feel like adding some crunchy texture and berry flavor is fair game! Here are some of my recipes where this topping would be perfect!
- Strawberry Jello Cake- turn this double strawberry cake into a triple berry delight by coating it with this strawberry crunch topping!
- Mini Vanilla Cupcakes- instantly add flavor and flair to these bite-sized desserts! You can either dig a hole in the center to place these crunchy crumbles as a pleasant surprise or sprinkle them over the buttercream frosting.
- Strawberries and Cream Bundt Cake- turn this simple everyday treat into something special for Valentine's Day or Mother's day!
Place this topping in an airtight container or a sealed plastic bag. You can store it in a cool, dry area for three days or in the fridge for up to 7 days. If you want it to last longer, transfer the Strawberry Crunch Topping to a freezer-friendly bag and keep it frozen for a month or two.
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- small food processor
- 20 golden oreos
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 ounces strawberry jello
- Using a small food processor, coarsely chop the OREOS using short pulses.
- In a separate bowl, combine the OREOS, melted butter, and strawberry gelatin powder. Just use the dry powder here—don't actually make the jello.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container. If using immediately, sprinkle over your cake to garnish!
Notes and Tips
- Feel free to use slightly more or less Oreos, based on your desired level of crumble. I've used up to 25 in some of my batches!
- You can substitute freeze-dried strawberries for the strawberry jello in this recipe
Did you make this recipe?! First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try!
Please leave us a rating and feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and didn't — with a recipe!