This Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce Recipe lets you make your favorite recipe from the chain at home in your kitchen. If you enjoy the original Popeye's sweet heat sauce, you'll love making this copycat recipe. With only six ingredients, you can whip up this tangy sauce in only 10 minutes. It's the perfect dipping sauce for chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks, and all your favorite appetizers.
Our family is a big fan of the sweet and spicy tang of Popeye's sweet heat sauce. Since it's harder to find the sauce in the store nowadays, this copycat recipe is fantastic! We use it on burgers, chicken strips, and mozzarella sticks—the list is endless. This recipe will be a winner, if you're looking for a simple hot sauce with a touch of sweetness.
What is Popeye's sweet heat sauce?
Popeye's sweet sauce is a spicy dipping sauce with a touch of sweetness added. The main ingredients are honey, sugar, red pepper, corn syrup, and distilled vinegar. The signature sauce debuted in 2012 and is still served at many locations as of 2022. The sweet and spicy taste of the sauce is somewhat reminiscent of Thai sweet chili sauce.
Key ingredients and why we use them
This recipe calls for only five ingredients and has cayenne pepper as an optional add-in for additional heat.
Unsalted Butter: Butter gives this sauce a rich, smooth texture that is decadent. Although you could omit this ingredient, it really brings the sweetness and spice together nicely. I recommend unsalted butter and adding a pinch of salt if needed.
Honey + Granulated Sugar: This combo brings the sweet to your sweet heat sauce. You can decrease the amount of granulated sugar as desired. You can also swap out agave or maple syrup for the honey.
Louisiana Hot Sauce: This brand of hot sauce is unique because it uses cayenne peppers, vinegar, and salt. The vinegar gives the sauce a distinctive tang that is unmistakable. There are different brands of Luisiana-style hot sauce, and any are interchangeable in this recipe.
Making this Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce recipe is super easy, and only takes about ten minutes.
Step 1) In a small bowl, combine the hot sauce and granulated sugar.
Step 2) Add honey, and then whisk the mixture to combine.
Step 3) Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat for five minutes.
Step 4) Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the diced butter and Worchester sauce.
Frequently asked questions
As of late 2022, Popeyes sells four different sauces: BBQ, ranch, chili sauce, and tartar sauce. Some locations also serve a wild honey mustard sauce. There are also some signature sauces that appear on the menu for a limited time.
Yes! You can still purchase sweet heat sauce at most locations. However, some people have reported that due to its popularity, some stores are out of stock occasionally.
Popeye's does not have its sweet heat sauce available for sale. However, you can always ask for an extra when ordering!
No, these two sauces are different. Hottie sauce was a collaboration with Megan Thee Stallion and is a different sweet and spicy sauce that debuted in November 2021. Unfortunately, hottie sauce is no longer available.
I recommend storing your sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. It's best not to leave it out at room temperature because of the butter. Instead, I like to pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and give it a quick whisk to emulsify everything again. I don't recommend freezing your sauce, as that will change the texture.
There are SO many options when it comes to using your sweet heat sauce.
- Some people swear by mixing Popeye's sweet heat sauce with macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets. It's literally a trend that's taken over Tik Tok recently. This combo sounds delicious, and I would definitely try it.
- It goes without saying that sweet heat sauce goes great with chicken tenders and chicken nuggets. It's the perfect vehicle for the tangy condiment.
- Our family also likes to use it as a topping when we've got rice and veggies. It gives dishes a much-needed upgrade.
Try these other savory recipes available on My Sweet Precision. They'll give you an idea of what else to make or what to serve with your sweet heat sauce!
Also, check out all the recipes on My Sweet Precision by searching our recipe index.
Popeyes Sweet Heat Sauce Recipe
- small mixing bowl
- small pan
- ¼ cup hot sauce Louisiana-style
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- cayenne pepper optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together hot sauce, sugar, and honey. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and add the diced butter. Whisk in the diced butter until melted and fully incorporated. Stir in the Worceshire sauce.
- If desired, add cayenne pepper for more heat.
Notes and Tips
- Storage: Store your sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. It's best not to leave it out at room temperature because of the butter.
- Hot Sauce: Make sure you use Louisiana-style hot sauce in this recipe. This brand is unique because it uses cayenne peppers, vinegar, and salt. The vinegar gives the sauce a distinctive tang that is unmistakable.
- Sugar: You can decrease the amount of granulated sugar in the recipe if you find that the sauce is too sweet.
Did you make this recipe?! First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try!
Please leave us a rating and feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and didn't — with a recipe!