These dark chocolate and cherry granola bars are a delicious and healthy snack when you're on the go! Using natural ingredients, these homemade bars are a great alternative to their store-bought counterparts.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe for DIY granola bars comes courtesy of my mom, who sent it in the mail. I think it's an excellent recipe that can be easily adapted to whatever ingredients you happen to have on hand around the house. Enjoy!
Heather's helpful hints
This recipe is pretty forgiving so feel free to try out a mixture of nuts and dried fruits that sounds tasty to you. I was thinking that macadamia nuts with white chocolate and coconut would be a fun mixture!
There are so many variations to this recipe for dark chocolate and cherry granola bars recipe. Here are some creative ideas for you!
- white chocolate + macadamia nuts
- butterscotch + coconut
- milk chocolate + cranberries
- plain almonds
- cashews or pine nuts
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Granola Bars
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup whole almonds coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dried cherries coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Then lightly oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Add oats and almonds to a small baking sheet then bake 5 minutes, stir and bake another 3 to 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and the salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter melts and the sugar completely dissolves. Pour butter mixture in to bowl with toasted oats and almonds. Mix well. Let cool about 5 minutes then add cranberries and a ¼ cup of the mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Transfer oat mixture to lined pan then use a rubber spatula or damp finger tips to firmly press the mixture into the pan. Scatter remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over pressed granola mixture then use a rubber spatula to gently press them into the top. Cover then refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove block of granola mixture from pan then peel away aluminum foil. Cut into 12 bars.
Did you make this recipe?! First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try!
Please leave us a rating and feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and didn't — with a recipe!