These orange drop cookies have that bright and fresh citrus taste that you love! The vanilla cookie base is made using box cake mix and is enhanced with orange extract. Topped with an orange glaze and orange zest, this recipe is perfect for your next summer BBQ!
Summer is officially here! I can say this with authority now that I have switched to my summer wardrobe. There's plenty to love about summer. I welcome the warm lingering nights, fresh fruits from the farmers market, and the occasional trip to Dairy Queen for a pineapple sundae. It’s the season wholly devoted to leisure and good times with the people you love.
Why you'll love this recipe
The Sweet Precision kitchen always slows down a little during the summer months. But these citrus-infused cookies were a recipe I wanted to share with you right away. These cookies are a great addition to your baking repertoire when you need a quick and easy dessert. I'm in love with the glaze, which uses fresh orange juice and zest.
The cookies look so unique that people might think you slaved away in the kitchen to create these little delicacies. No one needs to know your secret… which is that all you need is a box of vanilla cake mix! I made this recipe for a summer picnic when I didn't have time to pull something elaborate together, and they were a hit!
Key ingredients and why we use them
Orange Zest: This citrus-packed superpower ingredient gives these cookies the tangy taste of summertime. If you don't have orange zest, don't fear! Simply use one of these orange zest substitutions.
Box Cake Mix: This ingredient is the ticket to making these cookies quick and easy. Choose your favorite brand for the best flavor. I love Duncan Hines white cake mix.
Heather's Helpful Hints
Be sure to cool your baking sheets between baking batches of cookies. To cool your cookie pans in a hurry, run them under cold water and then wipe them dry before using them.
Try these other cookie recipes
If you loved these orange drop cookies, try some more of our popular My Sweet Precision cookie recipes!
Orange Drop Cookies
- 19 x 13-inch half-sheet baking pan
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs large
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice or as needed
- ¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs and oil until well blended. Place dough in refrigerator for approximately one hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy. Cool completely on a cookie rack.
- Meanwhile, mix confectioners' sugar, orange zest, and orange juice in a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle over cookies and garnish with leftover orange zest, if desired.
Notes and Tips
Did you make this recipe?! First, let me say THANK YOU for giving it a try!
Please leave us a rating and feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what went well — and didn't — with a recipe!